Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Walburg/Pace Bend

Another weekend of racing is in the books, and what a wild and rewarding weekend it was. Personal highlights include:

-Excellent wheel change practice after experiencing my first race flat
-First time racing in the rain (a little moisture to refresh the legs)
-Learning to ride at a constant ~30 degree angle due to difficult cross winds
-Finally nailing down a feeding system that works
-ATTACK!
-Receiving a highly illegal and much appreciated "nudge" up the start/finish hill from an adoring fan on the second to last lap
-ATTACK!
-At one point on Sunday, I heard a slight screeching sound and looked to my left just in time to see a rider swallowed up by a very hungry patch of bushes alongside the road.

Saturday was Walburg, a very open and exposed course, notorious for brutal gale-force winds. I got my flat about 10 miles in, just as the rain was tapering off. I put my head down and started to dig hard to chase back on, but I missed a turn, and that was the end of that. The rest of the race was a solo time trial; fortunately, the wind provided me with plenty of rabbits to chase down as it continued to pop riders off the lead group. Two of my teammates, Adam and Griz, got into the lead break and dragged their thankful breakmates around the course before placing very well.

Sunday was Pace Bend, a very rolly 6 mile circuit course w/a stinging uphill finish. I put in several pulls and a short-lived attack. The legs were accelerating and recovering very well on the flats, which was very encouraging, but the previous day's efforts had left me with little power for the hills, and I had to settle for a pack finish. Once again, though, I ended the day with a great feeling of pride as I had two teammates, Tino and Griz (again), place very high. They probably would have taken 1-2 if they had simply stopped waving at the remarkably voluptuous podium girls long enough to put their hands back on their handlebars for the finishing sprint.

Next week is Lago Vista. Next week we podium.

No comments: